Getting older can be stressful for many. You have to adapt to a new way of life and come to terms with the fact that things change as you age. However, your cabinetry doesn’t have to hold you back. You can use pull-out drawers and other accessibility modifications to make your cabinets, pantries, and closets more accessible and easier to use. This allows you to prepare your living spaces for safe aging at home.
To make aging at home a smoother process, it’s necessary to minimize everyday frustrations. Daily frustrations include being unable to reach things on certain shelves and not being able to reach the backs of cabinets.
Not only can custom pull-out drawers help to make your living room, kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom more organized, but they can also help prevent falls, putting safety at the forefront of your newly organized home.
Approximately 36 million older adults experience falls each year, resulting in over 32,000 deaths. Fall prevention starts in the home. And aging at home begins with an organization system that keeps you or your elderly family members in mind.
Organized spaces can make aging at home safer and more accessible
Having a messy and cluttered household can make mobility harder for the elderly. If you’re getting older, or you’re trying to help a family member who’s getting older, know that keeping a clean house can help prevent falls from occurring. Not only that, but a well-organized home will also be easier for aging adults to navigate.
Why Update Household Spaces for Aging Adults
Accessibility modifications are significant for aging adults. According to Assisted Living:
“While it may be intimidating to consider aging in your own home if it wasn’t designer for long-term care, there are many options […] that can help you stay in your home well past retirement.”
Therefore, if your elderly family member is hoping to stay in their home instead of transferring into an assisted living facility, you’ll need to upgrade their home to allow for long-term care.
Assisted Living lists kitchen modifications as one of the five most essential modifications that you can make to their home. While they speak primarily on the height of countertops and needing to adjust for potential wheelchair use, they also talk about being able to reach cabinets and optimizing the space in the kitchen.
Kitchen Organization for Greater Accessibility
Accessibility is the most crucial pillar when it comes to transforming a loved one’s home into a place they can continue to live in for the long term. Unfortunately, houses aren’t built with older people or people with disabilities in mind.
They’re built with the non-disabled person in mind. This means that there are high cabinets with shelves that not everyone can reach. Or perhaps the pantries are too deep for everyone to reach into.
The way that kitchens are built creates many issues for aging adults. At Art of Drawers, we create custom pull-out drawers that make your cabinets and pantries more accessible to you.
We offer accessibility modification solutions such as:
- Pull-out drawers that extend all the way out to help you reach everything in your cabinets. This includes even the items that lie hidden at the very back.
- Flat-item storage that allows you to easily slide items into their home, making it much easier to remove them later. No more digging through a deep drawer or cabinet to pull something heavy out of a stack.
- Custom in-drawer layouts that allow for easy organization, preventing the risk of harming yourself while digging through a drawer.
- Pull-down organizers are a must-have for your elderly loved one’s kitchen. Pull-down organizers allow for someone to easily pull down a cabinet to see its entire contents. These are great for access to higher storage.
All of our products are designed with your needs in mind. So please tell us everything we need to know about your project. We’ll then help you create a space that benefits your loved ones and allows them to make better use of their home as they age.
How can Art of Drawers Help You Turn Frustrations into Joy?
Our four-step process will allow you to transform your own (or your loved one’s) kitchen into something that is truly easy for them to use. By doing this, you make spending time in the kitchen joyful instead of utterly frustrating.
- First, we start with conception. This is where we speak to you about what you’re looking for and how we can help you reach your goals.
- Second, we work on crafting your dream drawers into a reality. We keep in mind what you’ve asked for and collaborate with you on what the final design will look like.
- Next, we install the tailor-made masterpieces into your cabinetry.
- Finally, the last final step in the process is your enjoyment. After installation of your custom drawers, you will be able to enjoy your organization and accessibility for years to come.
Any issues you have with your kitchen or specific modifications that you’re looking for, we’ll be able to help you accomplish. Our team of talented designers are ready to help make your home accessible and joyful.